Immigration enforcement is on the rise as is evident by the 5,200 audits conducted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in the first half of 2018 in what it is calling a “bold new audit initiative” to crack down on employers who violate immigration laws. Ensuring I-9 compliance is difficult, and often overlooked. We will discuss the latest requirements and best practices in this scrutinized area:
- I-9 basics: Essential steps to correctly fill out the latest version of the I-9
- Common I-9 completion mistakes to avoid
- Establishing an I-9 policy
- What information you should - and shouldn't - demand of applicants and employees
- How, where and for how long must you store I-9s?
- Internal audits: What can be corrected and who should be auditing?
- Best practices: What else should you be doing?
- Electronic I-9 systems: What to consider when going paperless
Registration/Networking - 7:30 a.m.
Program - 8:00 to 9:00 a.m.
This event is being offered as a free education session.
McLane Middleton's Boston Office
45 School Street, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02108
About the Presenter
Shiva’s practice focuses on immigration law. She advises clients on a broad range of immigration matters including business and family immigration, federal immigration litigation and naturalization. Her clients range from multi-national corporations to start-up high technology companies, independent schools, and individual foreign nationals.
Shiva is a frequent speaker on both immigration and real estate related matters for judges, attorneys and non-attorneys, and has given presentations at the Boston Municipal Court Department Judge’s Conference, the American Immigration Lawyers Association, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, the Boston Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association, Boston College Law School, and the Iranian Association of Boston, among others.