- Asset Protection and Wealth Preservation
- Estate Planning and Trust and Estate Administration
- Probate Litigation
Estate and business planning and the administration of estates and trusts is the focus of Joel Sherman’s practice. He counsels family-owned businesses, their principals and families on a variety of corporate and personal issues, including the transfer of business interests from one generation to the next, estate and succession planning, charitable planning, including the negotiation of major gifts with charitable institutions, and personal and family matters.
Joel also acts as Trustee and Co-Trustee of trusts created for the benefit of clients and their beneficiaries.
Joel received his J.D. from New York University School of Law and his A.B. from Bowdoin College. Most recently, he was a Director of the Boston law firm of Goulston & Storrs.
- United States Tax Court
- Member, Greater Boston Fiduciary Law American Inn of Court
- Boston Estate Planning Council
- Attorneys for Family Held Enterprises (AFHE)
- Family Firm Institute (FFI)
- Fellow and Past Trustee, Boston Bar Foundation
- Board Member, Emeritus and Advisor to CEO, Boston Children’s Chorus
- Class Agent, Bowdoin College
- Past Chair of the Board and Campaign Chair, Combined Jewish Philanthropies of Greater Boston, Inc.
- Trustee for Life, Hebrew Senior Life and Temple Emanuel of Newton, MA
- Past Vice President and Life Trustee, The Rivers School, Weston, MA
- Past President, Jewish Family & Children’s Service
- Past Vice Chair, Board of Overseers, and currently Overseer Emeritus, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Boston Magazine’s Top Lawyers of 2021 and 2022 (Trusts & Estates)
- Judge Learned Hand Human Relations Award, American Jewish Committee
- Circle of Excellence Award, Combined Jewish Philanthropies Lawyers’ Team
- 2017 Robert M. Cross Award (awarded annually to the Class Agent or Agents whose outstanding performance, hard work, and loyalty to Bowdoin College are deserving of special recognition) and Polar Bear Award from Bowdoin College.
- 10 McLane Middleton Attorneys Included in Boston Magazine’s Top Lawyers of 2022 (November 28, 2022)
- 12 McLane Middleton Attorneys Included in Boston Magazine’s Top Lawyers of 2021 (November 29, 2021)