McLane Middleton’s sports practice group advises clients at all levels, from the most casual amateur athletes and athletic associates, to professional athletes and team ownership groups, to venues and vendors collaborating on games and events.
Our attorneys have experience successfully guiding individuals, businesses, schools, non-profit organizations, and other groups involved in sports through the increasingly complex legal and practical issues they encounter.
The group operates as a multidisciplinary practice to provide representation that fits the varied needs of our clients, including:
- Purchases and sales of professional teams and ownership interests;
- Contracts between sporting venues and event vendors;
- Intellectual property and licensing;
- Appeals to bodies governing student athletes, including the NCAA and high school interscholastic associations;
- School policies governing student athletes’ name, image, and likeness rights, as well as related issues;
- Name, image, and likeness agreements between student athletes and sponsor companies; and
- Estate planning and counseling for high net worth individuals with backgrounds in professional sports, including athletes, members of ownership groups, and team executives
10/25/23 – Profiting from Name, Image, and Likeness and its Impact on Independent Schools Webinar