- Arbitration and Mediation
- Business/Complex Commercial Litigation
- Employment & Labor Law
- General Civil Litigation
- Land Use and Development Law
- Tax Abatement
Manchester, NH 03101
Jennifer is a director of the firm’s Litigation Department and chairs its Business Litigation Practice Group. She has over 25 years of experience litigating and resolving disputes for companies and business owners in a wide range of complex commercial cases and employment matters. She has litigated in state and federal courts in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Jennifer has represented companies in business litigation involving contracts, tortious interference, unfair competition, shareholder, real estate, tax abatement, eminent domain, leases, misrepresentation, and other business disputes. She has represented employers in the areas of employment discrimination, executive termination, retaliation, harassment, wrongful termination, contract, defamation, wages, trade secret, non-competition, and non-solicitation disputes. Jennifer has also represented companies in employment, tax abatement, and eminent domain matters at the administrative or agency level and conducted workplace trainings and discrimination/harassment investigations. She is also a trained mediator with extensive experience in alternative dispute resolution.
Jennifer received her J.D., summa cum laude, from Suffolk University Law School (1995) and her B.A., cum laude, from Boston College (1992). She also completed the St. Paul’s School Advanced Studies Program (1987).
Areas of Focus
- New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Palace Theatres, Chair Board of Trustees (2020 – present); Board member (2012 – present); Co-Chair, Community Advisory Board (2018 – 2019)
- American Bar Association, State Delegate (NH) (2020 – present)
- American Bar Association, Chair of Drafting Committee (2019-2020); Vice-Chair (2020-present)
- American Bar Association, Association Delegate (NH) (2015-2020)
- American Bar Association Special Committee on Hispanic Legal Rights & Responsibilities (2021-present)
- National Conference of Bar Presidents, President (2018-2019); Executive Council and Officer (2012 – 2020)
- President of the New Hampshire Bar Association (2011-2012)
- President of the New Hampshire Women’s Bar Association (2000-2002)
- New England Bar Association, President (2018-2019); Board (2011 – 2020)
- New Hampshire Business Committee for the Arts, Secretary (2017-present); Board (2015 – present)
- American Bar Association, Association Delegate to ABA House of Delegates (2015 – 2020)
- American Bar Association, 2018 Presidential Appointments Committee
- Founding Member of Loan Assistance Program for Suffolk University Law School New Hampshire Alumni in 2003
- New Hampshire Women’s Bar Association, Founding Member/Incorporator in 1998
- American Bar Association (1996 – present)
- New Hampshire Bar Association, Committee on Cooperation with the Courts, Chair (2013 – 2016); Member (2012 – present)
- New Hampshire Bar Association, Leadership Academy, Steering Committee (2010 – 2016)
- New Hampshire Bar Foundation, Board Member (2009 – present) and Sustaining Life Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Chair for New Hampshire (2012 – 2018) and Patron Life Fellow
- Suffolk University Law School, New Hampshire Alumni Association president (2003 – present)
- National Conference of Bar Presidents, Sustaining Life Fellow
- Opera NH, Board of Directors (2006-2012)
- New Hampshire Bar Association – Bench/Bar Conference, Co-Chair (2014-2015)
- International Association of Defense Council, Member
- Defense Resource Institute, Member
- Association Defense Trial Attorneys
- New Hampshire Association for Justice, Member
- Massachusetts Women’s Bar Association – Member and Women in the Courtroom Committee
- American Association for Justice – NH – Member
- Manchester Bar Association – Member
- National Center for State Courts – Lawyers Committee (2018 – present)
- The National Judicial College Joint Committee of Law Firm Partners and Corporate Counsel (2019 – present)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly’s 2020 Top Women of Law
- Suffolk University Law School, 2019 Outstanding Alumni Service Award
- 2016 Marilla M. Ricker Achievement Award by the New Hampshire Women’s Bar Association
- Outstanding Woman in Business by New Hampshire Business Review (2015). Click here for full article in New Hampshire Business Review.
- Named Top 50 Woman Super Lawyers in New England (2013, 2015, 2016)
- NHBA’ s Judge Philip S. Hollman Gender Equality Award (2010)
- Named Trailblazer in the Law by the New Hampshire Women’s Bar Association (2008)
- Named as one of the New Hampshire Union Leader’s “Forty Under 40” Business Leaders (2007)
- Robert E. Kirby Award, presented by the New Hampshire Bar Foundation (2003)
- Suffolk University Law School, Daniel J. Fern Award for highest cumulative average in graduating class, summa cum laude (1995)
- Suffolk University Law School, Law Review (1993-1995)
- City of Rochester v. AECOM Technology Corporation, et al, New Hampshire Supreme Court 2016-2012 (December 13, 2016). After oral argument, successfully affirmed trial court’s grant of AECOM’s motion to dismiss from litigation based on statute of limitations. On issue of first impression, Supreme Court held that doctrine of Nullum Tempus Occurrit Regi (“time does not run against the king”) does not apply to municipalities in contract actions.
- H. Boone Porter, III and Margaret Porter v. Town of Sandwich, et al, Carroll County Superior Court (2015). After two day trial, successfully obtained judgment for Porters. Trial court found several violations of the NH Right to Know Law (RSA 91-A et seg), vacated two separate board decisions and mooted one, awarded attorneys’ fees and costs, and ordered remedial training by town boards and individuals.
- Leon Stillwagon v. Hitchiner Manufacturing Company, Inc., Hillsborough County Superior Court (2013). Successfully defended company against claim for potentially multi-million dollars in payments to former executive. Upheld on appeal (No. 2013 – 0716)
- Southern Spectrum v. Town of Wolfeboro, Carroll County Superior Court (2012). Successfully obtained significant abatement for high end waterfront property after trial.
- Green Crow Corporation v. Town of New Ipswich, Hillsborough County Superior Court Southern District (2011). Successfully obtained judgement for commercial landowner for upgrade of Class VI road to Class V road after five day trial.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of employers in federal court on claims of race discrimination under Title VII, discrimination claims under the ADA, retaliation under Title VII and New Hampshire’s anti-discrimination statute, and wrongful termination.
- Hitchiner Manufacturing, Inc. v. Mark White, Hillsborough County Superior Court Southern District (2010). Successfully obtained jury verdict for employer in trial to enforce relocation agreement and promissory note executed by former employee, including award of attorney fees and costs for employer.
- Richard Dennis v. Osram Sylvania, Inc., 549 F .3d 851 (1st cir 2008). Successfully upheld summary judgment in favor of employer at First Circuit Court of Appeals on dismissal of retaliation claim.
- Shawn Rye v. Allegro Microsystems, Inc., Hillsborough County Superior Court, Northern District (2006). After an eleven day jury trial, successfully obtained defendant’s verdict on claims of sexual orientation and gender discrimination under the New Hampshire law against discrimination and claims of retaliation.
- State v. Skip Fern Trust V, Board of Tax and Land Appeals (2008). Successfully obtained fair compensation award of $2.4 million for landowner in taking of private property by state by eminent domain.
- Successfully reversed on appeal planning board’s denial of permanently vested rights under development project by successor in interest.
- Steir v. Girl Scouts of the U.S.A., 150 N.H. 212 (2003). Finding no tolling of statute of limitations under New Hampshire’s anti-discrimination statute for minors.
- Steir v. Girl Scouts of the U.S.A., 383 F .3d 7 (1st Cir. 2004). Upholding summary judgment in favor of defendant.
- Minuteman, LLC & a. v. Microsoft Corporation, 147 N.H. 634 (2002). Finding indirect purchaser rule applies to New Hampshire anti-trust statute.
- What’s Her Story: Tiffany Eddy (McLane Middleton Minutes, 9/1/2022)
- What’s Her Story: Genella McDonald (McLane Middleton Minutes, 8/3/2022)
- What’s Her Story: Amy LaBelle (McLane Middleton Minutes, 11/18/2021)
- What’s Her Story: Rachel Marino (McLane Middleton Minutes, 8/3/2021)
- What’s Her Story: Senator Kelly Ayotte – part two (McLane Middleton Minutes, 7/6/2021)
- What’s Her Story: Senator Kelly Ayotte – part one (McLane Middleton Minutes, 6/29/2021)
- What’s Her Story: Tanna Clews (McLane Middleton Minutes, 5/14/2021)
- What’s Her Story: Caroline Leonard (McLane Middleton Minutes, 3/29/2021)
- What’s Her Story: Sharron McCarthy (McLane Middleton Minutes, 3/19/2021)
- What’s Her Story: Dean Megan Carpenter (McLane Middleton Minutes, 2/1/2021)
- What’s Her Story: Suzanne Foley (McLane Middleton Minutes, 1/15/2021)
- What’s Her Story: Ahni Malachi (McLane Middleton Minutes, 1/4/2021)
- What’s Her Story: Tricia Soule (McLane Middleton Minutes, 12/2/2020)
- What’s Her Story: JerriAnne Boggis (McLane Middleton Minutes, 11/23/2020)
- National Conference of Bar Presidents’ Focus on Leadership, Innovation, and Collaboration (National Conference of Bar Presidents, 8/7/2018)
- Jennifer Parent Named Go To Business Litigation Lawyer by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (February 9, 2023)
- Jennifer Parent Named to McLane Middleton’s Management Committee (January 12, 2023)
- 59 Attorneys from McLane Middleton Recognized in 2023 Best Lawyers in America (August 18, 2022)
- Jennifer Parent of McLane Middleton Named to Benchmark Top 250 Women in Litigation (August 11, 2022)
- Chambers USA Recognizes 22 McLane Middleton Attorneys and 6 Firm Practice Areas (June 1, 2022)
- Steve Camerino, Linda Johnson, Joel Maiola, and Jennifer Parent Honored in New Hampshire 200 List (December 10, 2021)
- McLane Middleton Highly Recommended in 2022 Benchmark Litigation (October 28, 2021)