- New Hampshire
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court, District of New Hampshire
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Joe is chair of our Bankruptcy Practice Group. He represents creditors ranging from small private lenders to nationally recognized banks and finance companies in out-of-court restructurings and chapter 11 reorganizations. Joe works with businesses and individuals in all aspects of insolvency matters ranging from prosecuting and defending litigation arising in bankruptcy courts, to counseling buyers of assets from businesses in bankruptcy, to assisting financially troubled businesses in loan restructuring and workouts. Joe also works with lenders and businesses in complex commercial finance matters.
In 2013, after almost 29 years with the firm, Joe was appointed New Hampshire Attorney General in 2013 by then Governor Maggie Hassan. As Attorney General, he led the New Hampshire Department of Justice which represents over 120 state agencies, commissions, boards, the governor, the executive council, the legislature, and the courts in complex transactions and litigation involving contract and employment disputes, personal injury, environmental laws, election laws, consumer protection laws, anti-trusts laws, non-profit matters and criminal justice matters. With that experience and knowledge, Joe now works with businesses and individuals in matters involving state government.
Joe received his J.D. from The George Washington University Law School (1984) and B.A. from Tufts University (1981).
- Statutory Member, Police Standard and Training Council, (2013-2017)
- New Hampshire State Senator (2002-2008) – State Senate Majority Leader (2007-2008); Chair, State Senate Judiciary Committee, (2005-2008); Member, State Senate Banks and Insurance (2003-2006); and State Senate Education Committee (2003-2008).
- Member, Court Accreditation Commission (2005-2008)
- Member, Judicial Council (2005-2008)
- Vice Chair, New Hampshire Gaming Study Commission (2009-2010)
- Member, New Hampshire House of Representatives (1995-1998)
- Member, Greater Nashua Chamber of Commerce Advocacy Committee (2000 – 2013)
- Member, Oversight Committee-City of Nashua’s Revolving Loan Fund (2011- 2013).
- 2022 Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America (Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law)
- 2020 Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America (Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law)