- New Hampshire
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court, District of New Hampshire
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Joe is chair of our Bankruptcy Practice Group. He represents creditors ranging from small private lenders to nationally recognized banks and finance companies in out-of-court restructurings and chapter 11 reorganizations. Joe works with businesses and individuals in all aspects of insolvency matters ranging from prosecuting and defending litigation arising in bankruptcy courts, to counseling buyers of assets from businesses in bankruptcy, to assisting financially troubled businesses in loan restructuring and workouts. Joe also works with lenders and businesses in complex commercial finance matters.
In 2013, after almost 29 years with the firm, Joe was appointed New Hampshire Attorney General in 2013 by then Governor Maggie Hassan. As Attorney General, he led the New Hampshire Department of Justice which represents over 120 state agencies, commissions, boards, the governor, the executive council, the legislature, and the courts in complex transactions and litigation involving contract and employment disputes, personal injury, environmental laws, election laws, consumer protection laws, anti-trusts laws, non-profit matters and criminal justice matters. With that experience and knowledge, Joe now works with businesses and individuals in matters involving state government.
Joe received his J.D. from The George Washington University Law School (1984) and B.A. from Tufts University (1981).
- Statutory Member, Police Standard and Training Council, (2013-2017)
- New Hampshire State Senator (2002-2008) – State Senate Majority Leader (2007-2008); Chair, State Senate Judiciary Committee, (2005-2008); Member, State Senate Banks and Insurance (2003-2006); and State Senate Education Committee (2003-2008).
- Member, Court Accreditation Commission (2005-2008)
- Member, Judicial Council (2005-2008)
- Vice Chair, New Hampshire Gaming Study Commission (2009-2010)
- Member, New Hampshire House of Representatives (1995-1998)
- Member, Greater Nashua Chamber of Commerce Advocacy Committee (2000 – 2013)
- Member, Oversight Committee-City of Nashua’s Revolving Loan Fund (2011- 2013).
- Best Lawyers in America (Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Corporate Law), 2003 – present
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law), 2020, 2022 and 2024
- 37 McLane Middleton Lawyers Included in Super Lawyers (October 17, 2023)
- 10 McLane Middleton Attorneys Named 2024 “Lawyer of the Year” By Best Lawyers in America (August 22, 2023)
- 57 Attorneys from McLane Middleton Recognized in 2024 Best Lawyers in America (August 17, 2023)
- Chambers USA Recognizes 23 McLane Middleton Attorneys and Six Firm Practice Areas (June 1, 2023)
- Attorney Joseph Foster to Present on a Live Webcast Sponsored by the New Hampshire Bar Association (May 4, 2023)
- 59 Attorneys from McLane Middleton Recognized in 2023 Best Lawyers in America (August 18, 2022)
- Chambers USA Recognizes 22 McLane Middleton Attorneys and 6 Firm Practice Areas (June 1, 2022)