- Tax Law
- Pension/Profit Sharing/Employee Benefits Law
- Corporate Business Law
- Education and Independent Schools
- Labor & Employment Law
- Estate Planning and Trust and Estate Administration
- Financial Services
- Healthcare Law
Manchester, NH 03101
John is a director and chair of McLane Middleton’s Tax Department. He advises clients regarding compliance with ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code, COBRA, HIPAA and other complex federal laws applicable to employee benefit plans. John has extensive experience in helping clients assess and manage fiduciary liability and litigation risks associated with retirement and employee health and welfare plans.
John frequently represents clients before the IRS and United States Department of Labor in audits and investigations and represents clients in litigation involving employee benefit plans. He provides advice to employers regarding all forms of executive compensation and health and welfare plans. John also advises executives concerning stock options, compensation issues and estate planning involving IRAs and retirement benefits.
John serves on the firm’s Management Committee and is also a member of the firm’s Education, Employment, and Family Law Practice Groups.
John received his J.D. from Boston University School of Law (1989) and his B.A. from Dartmouth College (1984).
Areas of Focus
- New Hampshire
- Clerk, Bow School Board
- New Hampshire Bar Association (NHBA), former chairman of the Tax Section
- Former member of the Board of Trustees of the New Hampshire Employee Benefits Council
- Attorneys John E. Rich, Cameron G. Shilling, and Beth L. Fowler will be presenting at the 40th Annual NHSCPA / New Hampshire Bar Association’s Tax Forum on November 21, 2022 (November 14, 2022)
- 59 Attorneys from McLane Middleton Recognized in 2023 Best Lawyers in America (August 18, 2022)
- Chambers USA Recognizes 22 McLane Middleton Attorneys and 6 Firm Practice Areas (June 1, 2022)
- John Rich Named to McLane Middleton’s Management Committee (January 11, 2022)
- John Rich to Present at 39th Annual Tax Forum (November 16, 2021)
- When Does My Client Need a Tax Attorney? (5/12/2014)