- New Hampshire
- New York
- New Jersey
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
Newington, NH 03801
Brian has extensive experience in a broad range of complex education and employment matters throughout the country, including in state and federal courts, in alternative resolution processes, and before various administrative agencies.
Brian focuses his practice on understanding and serving the needs of independent day and boarding schools, colleges and universities, and early child care programs. Brian partners with many of the country’s leading independent schools to provide comprehensive advice on all aspects of school operations, including establishing new schools, student and parent issues, employment matters, school governance and leadership, and general risk management. He works closely with board chairs, heads of schools, financial officers, and other senior leadership members in tackling complex matters affecting school communities.
Brian advises clients on the full spectrum of student- and parent-related issues, including crisis management and student safety, disciplinary matters, responding to and investigating student interpersonal misconduct, accommodating applicants and students with disabilities, handling complex student mental health matters, supporting transgender, gender non-conforming, and other LGTBQ students on campus, and managing challenging parental comportment issues. In the employment context, Brian guides clients with respect to issues involving hiring and on-boarding employees, wage-and-hour compliance, establishing and maintaining appropriate professional boundaries, performance management, and risky terminations. Brian also assists clients with the myriad compliance documents such as enrollment agreements, offer letters and employment agreements, student/parent handbooks, employee and faculty handbooks, trip permission and release forms, student health audits, separation and settlement agreements, and drafting various additional policies and authorizations.
Brian routinely travels to schools, professional development seminars, and school conferences nationwide to speak and provide training and workshops for faculty, staff, and senior leadership. Brian similarly works with institutions and organizations on robust and interactive virtual programs. Brian facilitates trainings on topics including establishing and maintaining healthy and appropriate boundaries, child abuse and neglect reporting, conducting thorough investigations into student and employee misconduct, operating safe school campuses, and other issues unique to the private school setting. He has extensive experience guiding investigations of and responses to allegations of sexual abuse and other sexual misconduct allegations.
Prior to joining the firm, Brian was a partner at a boutique law firm handling education and employment matters, and an associate at Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP’s Manhattan office. Prior to becoming an attorney, Brian worked for five years as a center and masters’ program coordinator at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government and Graduate School of Education.
Brian received his J.D. from Fordham University School of Law, his M.A. in Higher Education from Boston College, and his B.A. in History from Boston College.
- Children’s Museum of New Hampshire, Board of Trustees
- Student Handbooks: Essential Updates for the New School Year (webinar for McLane Middleton, 5/4/22)
- Offer Letters and Contracts: Considerations for Independent Schools During the Hiring Season (webinar for McLane Middleton, 2/17/22)
- Brian Garrett Discusses the Supreme Court’s Affirmative Action Decision on the Enrollment Spectrum Podcast (April 24, 2023)
- Brian Garrett to Present on a Webinar for the Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (April 13, 2023)
- Brian Garrett & Amy Cann to Present at a Power Biz Hour Event for the Greater Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce (March 1, 2023)
- Brian Garrett to Present at 2023 NAIS Conference (February 9, 2023)
- Brian Garrett and Linda Johnson will be presenting at the 2023 National Business Officers Association (NBOA) Conference (January 26, 2023)
- Brian Garrett to Present at Enrollment Management Association Workshop (January 24, 2023)
- Brian Garrett to Present at 2023 AISNE Heads Retreat & Annual Meeting (January 11, 2023)
- Brian Garrett to Present at Risk Management Forum for the Appalachian P&C Insurance Group (October 31, 2022)
- Brian Garrett to Present at the AISNE 2022 Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Conference (October 25, 2022)
- McLane Middleton’s Brian Garrett Admitted to New Hampshire State Bar (June 14, 2022)